Software Engineer, TVUI (L4) - Discovery Core
Posted: 3 weeks ago
Netflix is the world's leading streaming video service, with more than 230M+ members in more than 190 countries and growing rapidly. On our cross-platform UI team, we work to help members discover and connect with stories they'll love. In this role, you will work on product features and client architecture innovations on our flagship TVUI Application that ships to a wide variety of devices, from HDMI sticks to game consoles & high-end TVs. We love every minute of the complex engineering and product challenges that come with delighting our members at this scale.
The Discovery Core team is responsible for building features and solutions that power Netflix’s Discovery Experience innovation across iOS, Android, Web & TVUI. We uniquely sit at the intersection of Product and Client Infrastructure:
1. We bring the next generation of immersive product experiences to life in close partnership with several cross-functional teams.
2. We build the Client & UI capabilities, features, and architecture to enable teams to craft & ship rich, performant product experiences.
We are part of a global, diverse organization that includes people of all genders, sexual orientations, upbringings, nationalities, ages, and socioeconomic & educational backgrounds. We encourage anyone who is passionate about building compelling TV experiences that touch audiences around the world to apply.
What you’ll be doing
- Collaborate cross-functionally with product, design, and engineering partners to scope project roadmaps to build delightful and accessible user experiences
- Build experimentation-driven product features, core UI infrastructure & systems, and define best practices to help drive consistency and simplicity of client code
- Architect maintainable, highly performant, testable TVUI client code with effective documentation that can be leveraged by TVUI developers on other teams
- Keep a pulse on cutting-edge Web/JS technologies and software engineering practices, and modernize the TVUI client code base to accelerate innovation velocity while upholding high product quality
What sets you apart
- Self-starter comfortable with identifying opportunities, seeking feedback and context to drive forward-looking technical solutions
- Effective at developing strong relationships with cross-functional teams through clear communication, curiosity, and selflessness
- Taking a thoughtful, practical approach to problem-solving that considers tradeoffs and avoids over-engineering
- Experience building product experiences for memory and performance-constrained devices
- Deeply cares about the quality & performance of the product shipped
- Strives to elevate the knowledge and skills of yourself, and others in a way that fosters an inclusive, collaborative environment
- Work with other high-performing, inclusive, and supportive engineers who are invested in each other’s growth
- Solve technical challenges and deploy solutions to serve the best-in-class streaming experience to millions of users worldwide
- Help evolve the way people watch content online and connect with Netflix
- The Netflix culture. Not just a memo, but something we practice daily
Learn about the TVUI Product Engineering
- Crafting a High Performance TV User Interface Using React
- Performance without Compromise
- Pass The Remote: User Input on TV Devices
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $100,000 - $700,000.
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.
We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate diversity, recognizing that diversity of thought and background builds stronger teams. We approach diversity and inclusion seriously and thoughtfully. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, national origin, caste, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic makeup, marital status, or military service.